Welcome to SPACEWATER

SPACEWATER is a community for futurists, technologists and gamers! If you haven't already, please take a moment to register for our absolutely free site and you'll be able to reply to threads, post your own ideas and make some friends. You'll even get rid of this annoying message!

1. Cookies

We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our site. Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalize your web experience.

By continuing to use our website without changing the settings, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is intended to comply with EU law.

Would you like to know more?

Learn More.

Help Zak Run at > 20 FPS

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Zakhealz, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    So just checked out my school deals for laptops, and I found a good Mac Book Pro bundle that saves me approximately $300.00. Since the specifics listed make no sense to me whatsoever I was hoping that someone more literate in 'computer speak' could give me their thoughts.

CTO Apple 13-in MacBook Pro 2.5GHz (Recommended Bundle)
    Apple Retail Price $1,577.00
    Co-op Everyday Price $1,235.95
    Save $341.05!

2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    13.3-inch LED-backlit Glossy display
    Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter
    Backlit Keyboard (English)
    3 Yea Applecare Protection Plan

Any advice/comments would be extremely appreciated! Just try to keep all suggestions in laymens terms so I have a better chance to comprehend what you wrote. Thanks in advance!
  2. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    That's the right idea, check out this chart where it says "Graphics and Video Support," and it says that that one has the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5. So at least they recommended the right one, and that will do fine but I wonder what they said about the PC laptops? I would be kind of surprised they don't have at least one token PC gaming laptop.
  3. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    The only one that seemed to be worth bringing to your attention is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series, which is only a few couple dollars cheaper than the Macbook. They do have a Dell XPS that looks nice but it's $1,000 dollars more than the Macbook and the Dell. Apparently they do sell Alienware's, but had none listed on the site.

The specs for the Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series are:
    Intel Core i7-4510U Processor (4th Gen, up to 3.1GHz)
    16 GB (2 SODIMMs) DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    1TB 5400rpm Hard Drive
    15.6-in FHD Truelife Touch Display (1920 x 1080)

Which one would you recommend?
  4. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    Those Dells don't have discreet video, so they're useless for Gaming. The Alienware is the alternative you're looking for. Remember you're looking for a gaming laptop, so 95% of them are garbage for that. Have them get you prices for the Alienware options and the high-end Mac Book Pros, and see how those compare.
  5. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    Thanks Eli, I really appreciate it! Anything is better than what I have now, so I'll have to check out the prices and let them know what I'm looking for. Although if I do get a Mac Book Pro, am I correct in assuming that I will have to run BootCamp? and if so, will that slow down the performance at all?
  6. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    [​IMG]

Boot Camp is just a trade name for Apple's Windows Drivers. What you're actually doing is fully installing windows on regular laptop, then installing Apple's drivers on it, all being coached along by Apple's nice Boot Camp Assistant, which makes sure you have all the partitions and shit set up correctly. So it won't affect performance at all. I really would like to know their full Alienware lineup before you commit to anything.

Don't forget that you want them to throw in a free copy of Windows 8.1 for the MBP, IIRC you said they would. The only one of those that works for gaming is the highest end one, so you already know which one. Now my final question: do they sell the Razer as well or just the Alienware ones for gaming?

I'm excited for you! WANT TO KNOW MORE.
  7. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    They close so damn early during the summer it's frustrating! I'll try to sneak over tomorrow during my half-hour break to ask them some questions and try to find out what they have to offer that may not be listed on the site.

P.S. Honestly laughed out loud when I saw that gif. Represents my life so accurately!
  8. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    I'm a fucking internet wizard.
    [​IMG]

Ok not really, but being a forum troll means having /r/reactiongifs, Google or Bing Images, and Imgur on tap all the time. So if you want to appear to be a lot cleverer than you are, that's my method. I keep a folder full of "Avatars" "reactionGIFs" and "Goodies" on my skydrive for these things too.

Anyway I can't wait to hear.
    Sergeant Blaze and Zakhealz like this.
  9. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    Ok, after our discussion, I recommend this iMac 27" Model:

27" iMac Hardware upgrades:
    • 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    • 3TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5
    • 3-Year AppleCare Warranty
  10. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    Alright, so my dad wanted me to come up with a few options and I came up with four. I'll list them later on (one of which includes the Imac you recommended) and let me know what you think.

Oh and since patch I am running at an average of 30-35 FPS! PROGRESS!
  11. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    Okay, decided to go with another option - and the price in the parenthesis is the expected student discount. Here they are (From Most Expensive to Least Expensive):

1) $3,549.00 ($3,349.00) Alienware 18": 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4910MQ processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1GHz), Windows 8.1 Home Premium (64Bit English), 1 Year Alienware Basic Support, 18.4" WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) TrueLife Display, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M graphics with 16GB total (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI Enabled, 16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz, 1TB/5400 RPM + 80G caching mSATA, Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BD-ROM, DVDRW, CD-RW), 802.11ac Dual Band 2x2 AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0, 8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr)

2) $2,668.00 ($2,468.00) iMac: 3.5Ghz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB, 3TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5, AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll

3) $2,649.00 ($2,449.00) Alienware 17": 4th Gen Intel Core i&-4710MQ Processor, Windows 8.1 Home Premium (64Bit English), 1 Year Alienware Basic Support, 17.3" 120Hz WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) TrueLife Display w/3D Bundle, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M graphics with 8GB total GDDR5, 16GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (2 x 8G), 1TB 5400 + 80 mSATA HDD, Slot-Loading 8x SuperMulti Drive (DVDR/RW)(Standard), 802.11ac Dual Band 2x2 AC WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0, 8-cell Lithium Ion (86 wHr)

4) $2,499.99 ($2,299.99) New Razer Blade Pro: 256 GB SATA III SSD, Intel Core i7-47000HQ Quad Core Processor with Hyper Threading 2.4GHz/ 3.4 GHz (Base/Turbo), 16 GB DDR3L, Intel HD 46000 GPU - NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 VRAM (Optimus Technology), 17.3" Full HD 16:9 Ratio, 1920x1080 LED Backlit, Built-in HD webcam (2.0MP)

5) $2,199.99 ($1,999.99) New Razer Blade: 128GB SSD (SATA M.2), Intel Core i7-4702HQ Quad Core PRocessor with Hyper Threading 2.2GHz/ 3.2GHz (Base/Turbo), Mobile Intel PCHM 8 series chipset (HM87), 8GB onboard memory (DDR3L-1600MHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M (3GB GDDR5 VRAM, Optimus Technology), 14.0" QHD+ 16:9 Ratio 3200x1800, with LED backlight (capactive multi-touch), Compact 150W Power Adapter, Built-in 70Wh rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery, Built-in webcam (2.0Mp), Razer Synapse 2.0 Enabled, Multi-point touchscreen interface, Built-in stereo speakers, Backlit anti-ghosting keyboard, Array microphone, 3.5mm microphone/headphone combo port, USB 3.0 port x3 (SuperSpeed), HDMI 1.4a audio and video output, Intel Wireless-AC 7260 HMW (802.11a/b/g/n/ac+Bluetooth 4.0), Width = 13.6", Depth = 9.3", Height = 0.70", Weight = 4.47lbs, Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)
  12. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    Should I still lean towards getting the iMac? Or is there another option that I listed where I would get a better deal (i.e. more bang for my buck)?
  13. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    Honestly I think we already fully answered that question, the rest is just you presenting it in an way that makes Dad happy. :)
  14. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    I think I can do that easy! Thanks again Eli! You the best!
  15. Earley

Earley aka JuicyJones

• HMFIC
    • Wildstar GM
    Home page:
    Ok since you told me your pop consented to basically whichever one you want, now is the time to look harder at the bang per buck at the higher end systems! Let's talk tomorrow about it if you haven't taken a decision, eh?
    Zakhealz likes this.
  16. Zakhealz

Zakhealz Founder

• Founder
    Just realized when you sent this to me, and I clearly need to check forums much more often! It's hard to tell when I will be on next (I might try to sneak on today for my daily quests and to help out my brother for a little bit) because this next week is going to be a little crazy. But whenever we're in TS we can talk it over.
    Earley likes this.